Unite against Climate Change!

On Monday morning, the AC group were the first group to go to the city to learn more about climate change. Climate change is something caused by Greenhouse gases and it makes the earth’s temperature rise.

The city council was really kind of offering us to go to the city where we could learn more about Climate change. At around 9:30 am my class and I left the school grounds and hoped on this humongous bus, there were led’s, curtains and there were even seat belts. We got to the city around 10 or 15 minutes later and dropped off at the fantastic Margaret Mahy Playground where we sadly were not allowed to play.

We met our lady from the City Council who was going to teach us all about climate change.

Something I learnt is that the thing that is affecting Ōtautahi the most is Transportation, because most people from Christchurch drive Petrol or Diesel vehicles. Another thing I learnt was Electricity is the one that is the thing that is causing the most trouble in the world because fossil fuels can create Greenhouse gases.

On the road we did a road check and we had to buddy up, I went with my friends Xavier and Tom. On our road check we found 42 Cars, 5 EV vehicles, 5 Busses, 5 Bikers and 70 pedestrians. Others had more or less than us but we have all the stuff we need.

My favourite part of the trip was eating food out of the Ōtakaro edible garden, I ate a Feijoa and some mint, it tasted nice and fresh.

Something that shocked me was the amount of people driving EV cars, it is %-1 I know! That is crazy! I mean I see a lot of people in EV cars like my dad and mum and some of their friends.

Something that I am now going to do to be more sustainable is to stop using so much electricity. Because electricity Is the 1st thing in the world causing climate change. If I am cold I wont use the heater just grab blankets, If I am hot I could open the window.

That is what I will do, what will you do?