Why is the Mediterranean country Cyprus divided?

Hi I’m Patrick and today I will be explaining why the country Cyprus is divided.

But first, What is Cyprus? Cyprus is an island country located in the Mediterranean Sea right under Turkey (Türkiye). Fun fact about Cyprus, Cyprus is home to the oldest manufactured wine in the world!

Now for why we are here, Why is Cyprus divided? Although Cyprus falls under 1 internationally, it is divided into 2 regions, plus the areas controlled by Britain and the E.U. This was caused due to an attempt to annex the island in 1974 from England to Greece through the coup d’etat, which led to Cyprus gaining its independence.

The English decided to keep the areas of Akrotiri and Dhekelia to turn them into military bases for key access to the Middle East.

Turkey invaded five days after the coup d’etat had begun creating the de facto state of the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus, which is only recognised by the Turkish government divided from the north by the E.U buffer zone. The southern half continues to be the Republic of Cyprus, which is internationally recognised.

That is it for today, what did you learn today? Cya!

One thought on “Why is the Mediterranean country Cyprus divided?

1. Hey Patrick hows it going? I love your work this week! It has so many details including what it is so I found that really fascinating especially because I love to travel but I have a question for you Patrick, why did you choose this island? and yes I did learn alot after reading this blog post!

See ya another time! -Evan