Country of the Week! Part One: Australia.

Hello Everyone and welcome to my new series, Country of the Week. Country of the Week is a weekly series when I talk about a random Country. I talk about how they were discovered, total populations, interesting facts and heaps more! Today I chose to talk about Australia! Enjoy!

Australia, the land down under, the land where a man can enjoy a Vegemite sandwich while being eaten by a crocodile while the crocodile is being eaten by a wild kangaroo. Nah, Just a joke I made up. Funny aye. Anyways I will be talking about Australia and how it was discovered, total population and interesting facts.

How It was discovered.

While Indigenous Australians have inhabited the continent for tens of thousands of years, and traded with nearby islanders, the first documented landing on Australia by a European was in 1606. The Dutch explorer Willem Janszoon landed on the western side of Cape York Peninsula and charted about 300 km from the coastline. But before the Dutch arrived, there was a tribe on the island known as Aboriginal Australians. According to National Geographic, Aboriginal Australians could be the oldest population of humans that were living out of Australia, Snazzy.

Population.

Did you know that the US State of California has a population of 39.35 million people. Well Australia has less than that, Australia has a population of 25.69 million people with an annual population growth rate of 1.3% annual change.

Interesting Facts.

Did you know that Australia lost a war to its national bird, the Emu. I bet you never knew that Australia is 1 of 5 nations with the Southern Cross on their flag. Did you know that the Australia alps get more snow than the Swiss Alps, very cool!

Well that is it for me today. QUESTION ALERT!!!!!!!! What was the name of the Dutch explorer that discovered Australia? Goodbye!