Toa Samoa! SLJ Task: The Samoan Flag

Kia Ora everyone and welcome to my blog, and welcome to those new com-mentors who have dropped by to take a read of my blog. Today, I had to do a task for the Summer Learning Journey of 2022-23, it was to do with the Samoan flag. We had to write what the colours and symbols mean on the flag. An interesting fact I learnt through this project is that Samoa is 1 of 5 countries with the Southern Cross a.k.a the Cruz constellation on their flag. The others being Brazil, New Zealand or Aotearoa, Australia and Papua New Guinea.

Here are what the symbols and colours mean:

• Blue – Freedom.
  • Red – Courage.
  • White – Purity.
  • Southern Cross – Unknown, Possibly representing Christianity, according to Britannica.

Well, I hope you have learnt something today. Fun fact about Samoa! According to legend, Samoa is known as the “Cradle of Polynesia” because Savai’i island is said to be Hawaiki, the Polynesian homeland. What is something you have learnt about the Samoan flag today? Goodbye and have a good day! Here is the link.

2 thoughts on “Toa Samoa! SLJ Task: The Samoan Flag

1. Kia ora Patrick,

Simon here again from the Summer Learning Journey.

This is a super informative piece on the Samoan flag. I didn’t know any of this and now I know! Thanks. Your google drawing is very informative and backs up everything you have mentioned in your blog.

Keep up the good work and hopefully I get to learn more from you over summer!

Ngā mihi,
    Simon

1. Kia Ora Simon!

Thank you for the comment. I am glad that you have learnt something new from my blog.

Have you been to Samoa before?
      Goodbye!
      Patrick